Why do people ASSUME Jesus meant the commandments of the Mosaic Law? Maybe when he said, “my commandments” (John 14:15), he literally meant what he said: the ones spoken by him as Messiah, in the flesh?
Update: please reconcile Jesus words from John 15:
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.
John 15:5-14 ESV
There are only about 30-40 commands from Moses that can be kept today. Wasn’t Jesus. In John preparing his students for such a time, and to focus on what was most important (and Mark 12:29-34)?
Mary Beth Engst adds this:
“The Mosaic Law was reduced several times: David reduced to eleven (Psalm 15), Isaiah to six (Isaiah 33:15-16), Micah to three (Micah 6:8), Isaiah reduced again to two (Isaiah 56:1); but it was Habakkuk who gave one essential commandment (Habakkuk 2:4). Likewise Paul distilled the various Torah commandments to this first principle of faith (Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38, 11:6), and Yeshua did the same in John:15:12-14:
“THIS is My commandment, that you LOVE one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you.
Again, I don’t believe anyone posting comments is implying that the 10 Commandments, which Yeshua clarified, have been done away with. I believe we all agree with scripture that it is the Levitical priesthood and all it’s corresponding ritual laws that have been completed/fulfilled in Yeshua (Yeshua being the aim of those rehearsals/guardians/shadows of better things to come).”
Here is an abbreviated version:
* The Promise (of Yeshua) was given in Genesis 3:15
* Abraham was considered righteous in Genesis 15, prior to the Law
* The Law was given to Israel for a specific purpose (Gal. 3-4)
* Most of the Law can only be obeyed in the Land with a standing Temple, except for roughly 30 commandments
* The shedding of Messiah’s blood fulfilled what was written in the Torah and Prophets (Luke 24:27), and instituted a New Covenant with a new Torah (Hebrews 7, especially vs. 12)
* Love fulfills the Law (Romans 13:8-14)
* Only Yeshua could fulfill His Father’s Law given at Sinai (Matthew 22:37-40; John 15:10; and I believe Matthew 22:36-40 / Mark 12:28-34)
* We are to keep Yeshua’s Commandments (1 John 3:22-24; John 13:34; John 15:10, 15-17)
(Let the posting fun continue!)